Thanks for your interest in volunteering at Magee in the Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Therapeutic Recreation, Art Therapy, Horticulture Therapy or the Nutrition department. Orientation for shadowing positions will be held in December, May, and August of each year. Placements will run September through December; January through April; May through August.
Shadowing opportunities are limited to a total of 60 hours per student. We ask for a minimum commitment of four months of service and a minimum of 100 volunteer hours total. The minimum time commitment for the shadowing and non-clinical areas is two 4-hour shifts a week for a total of 100 hours (including shadowing hours). You must be able to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis.
- 60 Shadowing Hours: 6 shadowing hours a week; 4 dining over 10 weeks = 60 hours plus + 40 hours in dining
- 40 shadowing hours: 3 shadowing hours a week over 13 weeks; another 5 hour shift each week for 13 = 40 hours + 60 hours in other areas (transport; dining activities)
- 20 shadowing hours over 13 weeks = 20; another 6 hour shift each week for 13 = 78 hours (transport; dining activities)
Please note that general therapy patient treatment hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM. There are no evening hours, but limited weekend opportunities may be available for shadowing and volunteer hours. Please note there may be a waiting list for placements in the departments listed above. Nutrition hours vary on weekday and weekend hours.
HOW TO APPLY: Be sure to include your resume and letter of interest, and include the following information on your application (download the Volunteer Application and Information Release Form):
- Name of Therapy Department: PT, OT, TR, Art, Horticulture, Nutrition
- Let us know if you can observe in an In-Patient (1513 Race Street) or an Out-Patient (1500 Columbus Boulevard) setting
- Total number of hours you need to complete and when you need to complete the hours by
- Days and times you are available
- Total hours per week you can volunteer
Also, during flu season, you will need to provide Magee with proof of a current flu vaccination (September 2014-April 2015). All volunteers must have a current negative tuberculin (PPD) test result dated within the past six months. If you have a current PPD and flu vaccination, ask your doctor for a note and fax or email to the contact below.
Please fax all of this to 215-587-3447, or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org (in subject line, include the therapy department in which you would like to be placed, i.e. PLACEMENT: PT).
|See what's happening at Magee. Calendar|